Sunday, August 8, 2010

Parents in Big Sky

Well my parents have now been home for almost a week since leaving Big Sky Country. They were here for the last 2 weekends in July and in the week between while I worked they went on adventures to Yellowstone National Park and Mt. Rushmore. The first weekend they spent in Butte was Evel Knievel days. This is a 3 day event filled with daredevils and stuntmen doing crazy things to honor the late daredevil. There's also lots of drinking. I had to work and cover the event so my parents tagged along for some of it and did their own thing other times. Friday night stuntman spanky spangler was jumping off the metals bank building for a stunt. So I decided my parents, roommate, and I should all go to Metals bar and grill (restaurant in the bottom of the building) for dinner. So they could see the jump of course and experience a little of the craziness. It was pretty crazy and I think my mom got her fill when she saw some girls passing a bottle of wine back and forth in the ladies room haha. Sadly we did not attend the Knievel family party on Friday night. I know some people were looking forward to those stories. Saturday they followed me to a calmer event where some Navy fighter jets were on display for the public.

Sunday I actually did not have to work so we drove to just north of Helena to do a boat tour called Gates of the Mountains. We got some really great pictures and there were some great views.

The next weekend we played Butte tourists. I guess they really were Butte tourists but I'm not haha. We went up to the Lady of the Rockies, a 90 foot statue of the Virgin Mary. A ton of Butte miners who were out of work in the 80's took years to build it and in pieces get it on top of a mountain range. She now sits there overlooking Butte. Again some great views from up there. We also saw the World Museum of Mining, The Copper King Mansion, and Berkeley Pit.

All in all some good clean fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment