Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Not quite a Moose on the Loose


I drove about 27 miles yesterday for a story. I ended up just north of the town of Whitehall, MT. Lots of open land, very pretty. Also saw a lot of cows on the land but inside fences so obviously belonging to the property owners. The picture is what I saw crossing the street. I literally had to stop the car to let them cross, and trust me they didn't really hurry along either. Guess the car moving at 50 mph towards them wasn't all that scary. I found this an unusual sighting to be crossing the road. Deer are normal and even in Montana I've come to think that a moose is normal. (Since I've now done two stories about moose wandering around Butte.) I probably wouldn't even be that shocked to see an elk or buffalo. Although a buffalo would be awesome. A stray cow would have seemed normal, a horse, a dog, a cat. For some reason this sighting made me think I was on the east coast. I couldn't see any body of water anywhere near me. Doesn't mean it's not there but still, I've come to expect more of the mountain, forest wildlife. I could see mountains all around me and land that was not so green, more brown and sand colored so I was thinking "where are they going?" If I had seen a squirrel I really would have felt like I was back on the east coast. I just don't see squirrels anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment