Monday, February 15, 2010

There is Sushi in Montana

I don't think too much has happened in the past 2 weeks. For work I went to Hanson Livestock to talk to the owner about wolves in the area and the problem they cause with his livestock. It was really pretty out there and there were a ton of animals. It was only my second time doing a story out on open land with animals. First time was in Maryland when I went to a dairy farm. This was a little different but still a cool experience to see this and be allowed to go wherever I wanted on the ranch to get some video. I couldn't go inside the fenced in areas with the animals obviously but they were nice enough to drive me down to the area with all the sheep and these massive dogs that live with the sheep and guard them. Anyways while continuing to work on this wolf story I'm finding that almost everyone is for hunting wolves. Montana had their first wolf hunting season this past year and people think it is a good idea to manage the population since they keep killing ranchers animals. The rancher I talked to did tell me he has lost 56 animals and in one night he lost 18 lambs to wolves.
Besides for that story I also had work on the super bowl since CBS was airing the game and we wanted to take advantage of the viewers. I had a fun story where I went to Papa John's to see the rush during the game. I followed one of their delivery drivers on 2 deliveries. At the first one the guy came out of his house to get his pizza without a shirt on. And what makes this so great is that Papa John's called him ahead of time to tell him a reporter would be following the delivery girl when he got his pizza and he still didn't put a shirt on. Oh well.
Last Thursday my boyfriend flew out here for Valentine's Day. He's still here and currently babysitting my cousins kids. I volunteered him....oops. But yea his flying out here was supposed to be a surprise but he let it slip that he was coming a few days before. But that allowed me to pick him up at the airport. We went to a comedic play at the local theater on Friday. It was ok. It was called leading ladies and about two guys in York, PA who cross dress to pose as girls to try and get an inheritance that really isn't theirs. Saturday we explored the city of Missoula, MT. It has a nice downtown area and we also saw the University of Montana. We had a nice sushi dinner. Sushi was the main reason we went. There is no sushi in Butte and I miss it haha. After Sushi we went to a local ice cream place. It was good and while we were standing in line the old woman in front of us farted really loudly. Then she turned around and smiled at us. It was very difficult to not laugh.
Valentine's Day was pretty chill. Breakfast in bed and watched the Olympics in bed. Then made some coconut shrimp for dinner. I attempted to make funfetti cookies with some pink icing to be festive. And I say attempted because they did not look burnt or even the slightest bit browned but they are so hard and crunchy. They taste ok just too hard for my taste. I was upset with myself but then learned today it's not my fault. Our anchor at KXLF was telling me that because of the high altitude here you have to follow the high altitude baking directions or that will happen. The air here just flatens everything and there's no moisture. She said for this reason she's given up on cookies and cakes here. So from now on I'll know that if I want to bake something I have to follow special directions because I live in the mountains sweet. Hope you all had a good Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment