Sunday, May 2, 2010

I Want a Pet Cow




This is Cletus. (And the Montana Livestock Auction) Sorry I don't have less blurry pictures but these were taken on my blackberry. Anyways, I met Cletus this past Tuesday when I was assigned to do a story on him for work. Cletus is unique because he is a 3,000 lb steer. This means he is a castrated bull. Normally, steers are sold when they are about 18 months. But Cletus here charmed his owners so much they let him live to be 10 years old and to become 3,000 lbs. He doesn't move very quickly. When I saw him he spent most of his time just standing in one place and moved his head back and forth a few times. He chewed a little bit too. But he is awesome. I would like him as a pet. Unfortunately, he was sold to some buyer in Minnesota who is going to turn Cletus into Hamburger. (I will not be eating any cow product for a while. It will just be too painful as I'm reminded of my new friend Cletus) But seriously cows are cute. They are large kinda furry animals that are so peaceful. They just stand there and chew and moo. How can you not love that? Especially, when his/her name is Cletus? What a sweet name. Anyways, I enjoyed my first trip to the Montana Livestock Auction to check out Cletus. Despite the fact that all the cows I saw are now going to be steak or hamburger it was a new and interesting experience to see all of them. It also made me laugh to see all the little dogs running around the auction. They belonged to people who were there to either buy or sell some livestock. This one dog was hilarious. It was prob about 10 pounds and it just kept barking at 3,000lb Cletus. Cletus just had to step on the dog to shut it up. Another dog strolled over to the front of the seating area in the auction, faced everyone sitting there watching the cows, sat down, and barked at all the people. Cracked me up. I also, want one of the dogs I saw as a pet. But Cletus sold for a little over $1670. So if you'd like to help in my pet cow quest please donate more than that amount and I'll try to get him back before he becomes ground beef. I'll also need some money for some land to keep him on because a 3,000lb steer in my one bedroom apartment would look funny and smell funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment