Saturday, April 24, 2010

Journalism and Alcoholism go hand in hand

Sophomore year of College my History of Journalism professor told our class this one day, "Journalism and Alcoholism go hand in hand." I have definitely understood why he would make such a comment several times before. And from April 5th-16th I REALLY believed him. Those were the two weeks that I was producing and anchoring KXLF's 10 p.m. newscast while our regular anchor was out. I was also doing this with just one other reporter working who was brand new so the stress level was high. (Aslan this is not a diss to you, anyone who was brand new it would have been the same situation. You're cool you give me red starbursts) But there was lots of running around, lots of trying to figure out what content to use to fill the show, and lots of stressing to get everything done quicker while also trying to not scream at someone in the control room. So yes, there were several nights after work that I was just thinking I need a beer or some wine. I sadly rarely ever have such things in my apartment tho because I totally feel like an alcoholic buying that stuff just for myself at a store but oh well. I'm sure with more experience I would not feel so stressed and drawn to alcohol. Also, everyone in Butte thank you for your kind comments during those two weeks. It is so appreciated. Now I've had a whole week of back to regular reporting now and the stress level has dropped. Don't get me wrong I would love to be an anchor some day and get more experience with that but I do love reporting and just being able to go out and talk to people all day long for my job. That is the best part to me is just getting outside and getting to know people and what they have to say.

With that said I need to thank Montana weather for being much nicer lately. All this past week It was bright and sunny and warm. I was able to wear short sleeves with no jacket outside. My footwear changed from boots to flats and when not at work flip flops! Greatest thing ever. So thanks Montana Weather for listening and getting nicer. After all it is spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment