Sunday, December 13, 2009

First week in the Real World

So my first week of work at KXLF is officially over and the second week will start tomorrow. The first week went well. I was introduced on TV on Wednesday and had a story about a new book out about Butte. After doing that story I've had a lot of people tell me I did a good job and even some people went and bought the book so cool! Did another story on Thursday with a live shot that didn't go great in my mind but oh well hopefully it can only get better. The weather is getting better. 29 degrees may not sound good to most people back in PA or MD and believe me I was one of those people just two weeks ago. I hated weather in the 50's and below but after experiencing temps around -20 for a week I think 29 feels great. Didn't even wear gloves today when I went out and didn't button my jacket either. Amazing how things really are so relative. It's so sunny here too it's great. Even when the temperatures are in the negative numbers it is bright and sunny here. The people are also great. No one has been anything but super ridiculously nice to me. Every where I go during the work day I carry a camera and tripod with me because I have to film the stories obviously since they are for television. And every where this first week that I have taken the camera and tripod for a story someone has asked me if they can help me carry it. When I was carrying the same gear around in Maryland for Capital News Service I don't think I ever had anyone ask me if they could help. I did a story about a Christmas display that high school students were putting up and one of the kids carried my tripod and when I tried to tell him he didn't have to he told me his teacher told him he had to. Really just super nice people.
Thursday I had some real world grown up stuff to deal with. I had a message from my landlord the day before that she called the energy company and they told her that I hadn't put the account in my name yet so she asked me to get it switched over to my name as soon as possible. Well I had paid the energy company and switched it over in my name days ago when I first moved in. So early Thursday before work I had to call up the energy company and get that mess all straightened out. They told me that the account had my name on it and my landlord's name on it so they would just delete my landlord's name. Thursday I also had to take my car to the local Toyota before work because I had an appointment to get a block heater installed in my car. (Basically makes it so my car will start in subzero temperatures). When I scheduled the appointment they said they weren't there on Saturday's so it had to be a weekday. I told them I had work and asked about a rental car and they said they could give me a ride to work and pick me up so I settled on that. So Thursday morning I dropped off my car and was given a ride to work. Around 4 p.m. I got a call that my vehicle was ready and they would send someone to pick me up. Whoa news goes on at 5:30, 4 p.m. is a pretty busy time for me so I told them I'm still at work I don't need a ride yet so he asked when I got done work when I responded 6:30 he said oh that won't work we leave here at 5:30. Hmmm kind of a problem and someone probably should have told me that before they said they could take me to and pick me up from work. But guess it is also my fault for not asking. I asked if someone could bring the car to me and the response was "No we only have one driver." Seriously??? Luckily one of the other reporters was sitting right behind me and heard this convo so he said he could give me a ride to Toyota after work. So it ended up that they left my key in my car and I had to pay over the phone with my credit card number but yea a little stressful for a few minutes there thinking I had no way home and no way to get my car.
Wednesday night I went to a party for the new director of the orphan girl theater here. Met some people there and went out with them friday night and met more people. Everyone was really cool. We started at one bar that was pretty chill then went to another bar that had a live band playing. That was an interesting experience. It was fun but the music was definitely not what I'm used to. I heard some Johnny Cash haha. The dancing was also not typical east coast out in the club grinding and what not haha but that's probably a good thing. People also were not super dressed up jeans and a sweater was just fine along with some boots. Also saw a few guys in cowboy boots and cowboy hats. It was different but it was still fun. Last night (Saturday) I went to a holiday orchestra and choral performance with my cousin (who I found out lives in Butte and she's really a cousin removed a few times but cousin is just easier) Music was really good and very festive. Today I drove around town to get myself acclimated and try to learn the streets and where they go. Saw a lot of cool old houses and Montana Tech's campus which is so high up on a hill that it has some awesome views. So all in all a successful first week and weekend in Butte.

No comments:

Post a Comment